Wednesday, January 9, 2008

go suck a hockey puck, doo doo head!

I really get a kick out of how my fellow Americans try so hard to sanitize the media, even our own language (as messed up as it is) and how it's gotten to the point that we'd rather have political correctness than practicality. Sometimes it really is just that much simpler to say "For fuck's sake!!" (though those exclamation marks should never be fulfilled lest you want to be stared down by any parents or elderly in the immediate area - which is far scarier than any one of those emo/punk/goth kids). And sometimes the original meaning or context is lost when there's so much rhetoric involved. And sometimes the point is even assisted by bad language! I went through my whole childhood thinking that Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty was the ultimate badass because she said "...and all the powers of HELL!". Who cares that she's killed by a sword in the bladder, she said Hell!

This Orbit Gum commercial is hilarious because it satirizes this phenomenon of sanitizing our language (and our behavior, as the office setting evokes images of sexual harassment lectures) with some pretty absurd euphemisms. Who says kumquat anymore? (What are they, anyways?) Either way, it's inspired me to start using ridiculous monikers as comebacks, so if I call you a lint licker, be sure and feign shock and distress to appease me.



I think the hilarity of this commercial is helped by their British accents. And the delivery of the lines! In this awards season for films, I think it's a shame there aren't awards for Best Performance in a Commercial. That woman in the leopard print totally deserves Best Supporting! haha!



** By the way, I just saw There Will Be Blood no more than one hour ago so I'll be able to put together my list of personal favorites (and picks for what the year's best films are) by this time next week. I hate to ruin the suspense, but Paul Thomas Anderson has on his hands another gorgeous masterpiece and I'm leaning heavily towards it as my top pick. (Leaning? More like hunching over with one arm sticking out in that general direction.) Anyways, it'd probably have been more exciting (for you and me) for me to figure out who else will fill out the Top Ten. Where will Atonement fit in? No Country for Old Men? Sweeney Todd? 3:10 to Yuma!?

1 comment:

Corriendo said...

lol hilarious commercial!